Salted Caramel Toasted Coconut Chips
(Paleo, Vegan, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Refined Sugar-Free)
Author: Demeter | Beaming Baker
Mmm… now, who doesn’t want that?
You guys, it’s soooooo good. The prep work is almost non-existent. You know how we roll here: the easier, the better, right? Pop them in the oven, and in just a few minutes, your entire kitchen will become an oasis of salted caramel delight. Forget all of those highfalutin scented candles, incense stick thingies, and diffusers… nothing can come close to this scent.
Are you ready to get your homemade snack on? Grab your favorite large-flake coconut chips (seriously, does that sound sexy or what), your favorite coconut sugar, and your coolest sea salt grinder (totally a thing). Let’s get baking!
- 1 ½ tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups unsweetened coconut flakes
- Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or greased foil.
- In a large bowl, add coconut sugar and water. Whisk until sugar is almost completely dissolved—this will take about 1-2 minutes. Add salt, stirring until well mixed.
- Add coconut. Using a spatula or spoon, stir and fold until coconut is well-coated in sugar mixture.
- Pour this mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Spread into an even, thin layer, creating empty pockets for air to flow through while baking.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Stir and flip the coconut chips. Bake for an additional 4-8 minutes. Mine took a total of 18 minutes. Chips are done when thoroughly toasted and mostly dried out. Be careful not to burn. Chips will crisp up during cooling.
- Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack. Allow cooling for about 30 minutes. Cool completely before storing it. Store in an airtight container.
Once they’re out of the oven, let them cool off a bit, then grab a chip. So sweet, so caramel-y, so salty YUM… so guilt-free. YEAH!!!
- Belinda van der Walt